What You Need To Know About Hair Loss. Belmar Pharma Solutions Explains Why Your Hormones May Be the Culprit
January 5, 2022
We’ve all been there. You wake up, get dressed and check yourself out in the mirror before leaving. If you’re having a bad hair day (don’t we all?), the day gets slightly weird….maybe you don’t feel like your usual confident self which basically lasts all day, right? You can only hope you have a good hair day tomorrow because it matters, honestly.
That’s why it feels distressing when you notice an unusual amount of hair in the shower or on your pillow when you wake up. But don’t panic! We all shed some 50 to 100 hairs a day, so it’s completely normal for some strands to come loose. But if the amount of hair loss increases significantly, it would be a good idea to find out why. There are many potential causes of hair loss (Alopecia areata), including:
- Blood circulation issues
- Hormonal changes like menopause and hypothyroidism
- Increased testosterone levels
- Low levels of vitamins and minerals
- Poor nutrition
Now, let’s take this a step further and explore the link between hair loss, menopause, and thyroid disorders .
What is alopecia?
Alopecia is a general term used for hair loss. There are many types of alopecia, but the most common is androgenetic alopecia, also known as male or female pattern baldness. This type of hair loss is caused by hormones and genetics. Hair loss usually progresses over time if left untreated.
What role do menopause and thyroid disorders play in hair loss?
It’s estimated that 40% of all women will experience androgenetic alopecia. The main reason for this is hormonal changes. During menopause, this type of hair often gets worse because estrogen levels drop, which can cause hair follicles to shrink and produce thinner strands of hair.
Additionally, hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) can lead to hair loss. Hypothyroidism occurs when your thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough of its normal hormones. When hormone production is disrupted, it can affect hair growth. Your hair may fall out and not grow back. If you think you might be going through menopause or have thyroid issues, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with your doctor, who can help you get to the root of the problem.
Did you know about genetic testing for hair loss?
What would you say if you found out there was a test that helps you understand why you have alopecia? You’d be pretty excited, right? We are too which is why we’re happy to share that Belmar Pharma Solutions is now offering TrichoTest — a highly precise genetic test for why you have hair loss which helps doctors personalize your treatment. The test detects the presence of specific genes that have been linked to hair loss.
This test may be for you if:
- You have a family history of hair loss
- You have tried different treatments with little to no success
- You want a personalized report and prescription plan
Your prescription plan may include compounded topical solutions, oral supplements or prescription hair care products that can be filled by compounding pharmacies like Belmar Pharma Solutions.
Now let’s talk benefits and why you need to take advantage of the most complete genetic test for alopecia and hair loss on the market! Here is what you get:
- A personalized report and prescription recommendation plan developed just for you.
- A full report with an explanation of your genetic characteristics and their relation to your treatment
- Results that you can share with your doctor who will now have a deeper understanding of your genetic characteristics and how they relate to alopecia.
- A test that you only have to take once because your genetic results don’t change over time.
But how does it work? We’re glad you asked. You will have your test results in five easy steps.
- Contact your provider to order the Tricho(r) Test from Belmar Pharmacy.
- Your DNA sample is collected with a gentle cheek swab — a process that only takes about a minute.
- Fill out an online questionnaire.
- After 5-7 business days of receipt of a valid sample and forms, contact your doctor and get your results.
- Follow your treatment plan as prescribed by your doctor.
The bottom line is, if you’re not sure what’s causing your hair loss, it might be time to get tested. Please, don’t wait until it’s too late! As they say, knowledge is power. And in this case, knowing the reason for your hair loss can help you decide what to do about it. The ability to test for hair loss and come up with a treatment plan has never been easier! To order a test, have your doctor contact Belmar Pharmacy at [email protected] or 800-525-9473.
By taking this simple step, you can stop worrying and start looking for solutions so that you can have more good hair days than bad.